Jump to navigation Jump to search
From French Holocène, based on holo- (“whole”) + Ancient Greek καινός (kainós, “fresh, new”). Coined to replace the earlier (1833) label Recent, formally submitted in 1867 and officially endorsed in 1969.
Holocene (not comparable)
- (geology) Of a geologic epoch within the Neogene period from about the year 10 000 BC to the present; the age of man.
relating to the epoch from about 11,000 years ago to the present
- (geology) The Holocene epoch.
The Holocene epoch
- English terms borrowed from French
- English terms derived from French
- English terms derived from Ancient Greek
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English adjectives
- English uncomparable adjectives
- English proper nouns
- en:Geological periods