Jump to navigation Jump to search
See Indian giving.
- (informal, offensive) A person who demands the return of or takes back something that was previously given.
- 1920, Peter B. Kyne, chapter 41, in Kindred of the Dust:
- Mark me, he'll never take those bonds.... He gave them to you and he's not an Indian giver."
- 2001, Jon Ippolito, "Whatever Happened to the Gift Economy?" Leonardo, vol. 34, no. 2, p. 159,
- He was labeled an "Indian giver"—someone who gives a gift only to ask for it back.
an Indian giver