Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Appendix:Variations of "mama"
- The word is commonly used with a definite article in most parts of central Germany, southern Germany, and Austria: Wo ist die Mama? – “Where is Mum?” In northern Germany—and generally in writing—no article tends to be used: Wo ist Mama?
- The genitive Mamas is used before the modified term, without any article or determiner: Mamas Tasche – “Mum’s bag”. This is chiefly northern German usage; the rest of the language prefers: die Tasche von der Mama (as above). — With an accompanying article or determiner, the genitive takes no ending: die Tasche meiner Mama – “my mum’s bag”. This, however, is not common usage in any region; children will say instead: die Tasche von meiner Mama.
Declension of Mama [feminine]
- Mami (affectionate)
- “Mama” in Digitales Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache
- “Mama” in Duden online
- “Mama” in Uni Leipzig: Wortschatz-Lexikon
Mama f (plural [please provide])
- Mama is used to address someone else's mother. To describe the concept of a mother in itself, the word Múur is used, while when addressing one's own mother, the word Mäme is used.