From Welsh Maredudd (“great lord”).
Meredith (plural Merediths)
- A male given name.
- 1942, Agatha Christie, Five Little Pigs (HarperCollins 1994, ISBN 0006163726, page 26:
- What was his name now? Literary sort of name - I've got it. Meredith. Meredith Blake. Don't know whether he's alive or not.
- A Welsh patronymic surname.
- A female given name; sometimes mistaken for a combination of Mary and Edith.
- 2004, Jo Goodman, Forever In My Heart (Zebra Books 2004, ISBN 082177784X, page 412:
- "What did I hear you say her name was?"
- "Meredith. Mary and Edith. Names from both sides of the family."
- "Meredith," he repeated softly. "I like it."