Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: moonie
Moonie (plural Moonies)
- (fandom slang) A fan of the Japanese manga and anime franchise Sailor Moon.
- (informal) A member of the Unification Church; a follower of its founder Sun Myung Moon
1981 July 6, Sunday Times:
- The Unification Church, or the "Moonies" as they are commonly known, have a thriving work in South Africa, with their headquarters in Hillbrow and a Moonie farm near Muldersdrift.
- (informal) A person who shows exceptional enthusiasm for a cause or organization, a zealot.
- (informal) Common nickname in English-speaking countries.
2013, Hayden Nicholas, Ezekiel's Choice,, WestBow Press, page 100:
- How did Moonie get his nickname? He told us it had something to do with him being born during a full moon.
2010, Bob Ruchhoft, Phil Smith, Good Cop, Dead Cop,, Author House:
- Michael "Moonie" Miller was feeling pretty good about things. The day was beautiful. A little breeze, nice and warm, was blowing in from the desert as if often does this time of year in the Los Angeles basin. Two days before Halloween and it's 81 degrees, mid-afternoon. It can't get much better than this, he thought. "Moonie" acquired his nickname years ago but it was hardly relevant anymore.
2005, Maggie Siggins, Bitter Embrace: White Society's Assault on the Woodland Cree, McClelland & Stewart, page 128:
- He was nicknamed Moonie, because he was such a daydreamer in school.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:Moonie.
- (member of Unification Church): Unificationist
- ^ Partridge, Eric; Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor (2005) The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English: J-Z, TF-ROUTL, ISBN 978-0415259385, page 1319
- ^ Dalzell, Tom; Terry Victor (2007) The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, Routledge, ISBN 0415212596, page 439
- ^ Dalzell, Tom (2008) The Routledge Dictionary of Modern American Slang and Unconventional English, Routledge, ISBN 0415371821, page 671