Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Appendix:Variations of "oc"
- Original Content
- Orange County
- Officer of the Order of Canada
- (military) Officer Commanding
- Office Consultation
- Office Conference
- (fandom slang) Original character
1999 October 28, Laura Taylor, “Re: Voyager Mary Sue Litmus Test”, in alt.startrek.creative, Usenet:
- One point that almost always seems to be overlooked every time the Mary Sue issue comes up is that #*not* all original characters are Mary Sues. Although there are those who think OCs should be kept out of fanfic, it is possible and acceptable to write OCs into your stories without deifying them.
- 2008, Rebecca W. Black, Adolescents and Online Fan Fiction, Peter Lang (2008), ISBN 9781433103056, page 40:
- For instance, one fan might create an OC or Original Character that does not exist in the primary media canon. Then, with that fan's permission (it is considered good form to request permission from the OC creator; however, this does not always happen) another fan may incorporate that OC into his or her texts.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:OC.
- (slang) OxyContin