Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Dr. Pangloss, a character in Voltaire's Candide, + -ian.
- (General American) IPA(key): /pænˈɡlɑsi.ən/, /pænˈɡlɔsi.ən/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pænˈɡlɒsɪən/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔːsiən, -ɒsɪən
- Hyphenation: Pan‧gloss‧i‧an
Panglossian (comparative more Panglossian, superlative most Panglossian)
- (derogatory) Naively or unreasonably optimistic.
- Though he took a Panglossian view of the world in his youth, he became jaded as he grew older.
- (derogatory) Of or relating to the view that this is the best of all possible worlds.
- See also Thesaurus:naive
naively or unreasonably optimistic
- English terms suffixed with -ian
- English 4-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English adjectives
- English derogatory terms
- English terms with usage examples
- English eponyms