Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: philippines
See Name of the Philippines in Wikipedia for a complete etymology.
Borrowed from French Philippines, originally from Spanish Filipinas, which was from Felipe (the name of a king of Spain).
- A country in Southeast Asia. Official name: Republic of the Philippines. Capital: Manila
- The Philippine Islands, an archipelago in Southeast Asia, that forms the basis of the Philippine republic.
- Not to be confused with Philippians.
- (country): Normally used in the singular since it is the name of a country.
Republic of the Philippines
Philippine Islands — see Philippine Islands
- Countries of the world
- (countries of Asia) country of Asia; Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, East Timor, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
Borrowed from Spanish Filipinas, from the pet form of Filipe (“Philip”) (French: Philippe), named after the King of Spain, Philip II.
Philippines f pl (plural only)
- Philippines (a country in Asia)
- (countries of Asia) pays d’Asie; Afghanistan, Arabie saoudite, Arménie, Azerbaïdjan, Bahreïn, Bangladesh, Bhoutan, Birmanie, Brunei, Cambodge, Chine, Chypre, Corée du Nord, Corée du Sud, Émirats arabes unis, Géorgie, Inde, Indonésie, Iran, Irak, Israël, Japon, Jordanie, Kazakhstan, Kirghizistan, Koweït, Laos, Liban, Malaisie, Maldives, Mongolie, Népal, Oman, Ouzbékistan, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russie, Singapour, Sri Lanka, Syrie, Tadjikistan, Thaïlande, Timor oriental, Turquie, Turkménistan, Vietnam, Yémen (Category: fr:Countries in Asia)
- plural of Philippine
- English terms borrowed from French
- English terms derived from French
- English terms derived from Spanish
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English proper nouns
- en:Countries in Asia
- English eponyms
- French terms borrowed from Spanish
- French terms derived from Spanish
- French 3-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French terms with audio links
- French lemmas
- French proper nouns
- French pluralia tantum
- French feminine nouns
- fr:Countries in Asia
- French non-lemma forms
- French noun forms
- French eponyms