- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɔɹtəɡi/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɔːtəɡi/
- Hyphenation: Por‧ta‧gee
Portagee (plural Portagees)
- (dated, ethnic slur, pejorative) A person from Portugal or a person of Portuguese descent.
1993, Common Lives, Lesbian Lives- Issues 47-49, page 37:
- She lives in New Bedford, and her dad's not around much and her mum calls her boyfriend a Portagee, a fuckin' greenhorn, and she says, Ma, he's 3rd generation, but her mum just rolls her eyes and fixes a drink, fills her glass with ice from the icemaker they have, pours some bourbon from the bottle on the glass-and-mirror shelf above the sink, turns on one of the gold seahorse faucets just a swoosh, and goes into the living room with the paper.
2008, Mary Frosch, Coming of Age in the 21st Century: Growing Up in America Today:
- Melvin has a very Portagee accent.