Jump to navigation Jump to search
- From Hebrew רְאוּבֵן (r'uvén), from רְאוּ (r'ú, “see [masculine plural imperative]”) + בֵּן (ben, “son”); its literal meaning is therefore roughly, "See, all: a son!"
- There are several unconfirmed etymologies for the name of the sandwich.
- Rhymes: -uːbən
Reuben (plural Reubens)
- A grilled or toasted sandwich made with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and either Russian dressing or Thousand Island dressing.
grilled or toasted sandwich
- (biblical) First son of Jacob, by his wife Leah.
- (biblical) One of the Israelite tribes, descended from Reuben.
- A male given name.
- 1611 — King James Version of the Bible, Genesis 35:22b-26
- Now the sons of Jacob were twelve: 23 The sons of Leah; Reuben, Jacob's firstborn, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun: 24 The sons of Rachel; Joseph, and Benjamin: 25 And the sons of Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid; Dan, and Naphtali: 26 And the sons of Zilpah, Leah's handmaid; Gad, and Asher: these are the sons of Jacob, which were born to him in Padan-aram.
- 1611 — King James Version of the Bible, Joshua 13:15
- And Moses gave unto the tribe of the children of Reuben inheritance according to their families.
first son of Jacob
one of the twelve tribes of Israel
male given name