Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from Salvation Jane)
- (Australia, chiefly South Australia) The plant Echium plantagineum.
2001, Law Book Company, The Federal Law Reports, volume 162, page 447:
- The plaintiff, an agency of the Commonwealth, in 1980 proposed to import into Australia and release certain insects for the purpose of eradicating or controlling a plant known as Salvation Jane. The plaintiff regarded Salvation Jane as a noxious weed. However, apiarists and certain others engaged in the production of honey regarded Salvation Jane as useful in agricultural production.
- 2009, Basia Bonkowski, Shimmer, Large print edition, page 176,
- Salvation Jane coats the hills like a lavender shroud. Its distant beauty is at once mysterious and deceptive—the purple tubular flowers sublime and delicate, the stems holding them prickly and unrelenting.
2009, Nathan Mullins, How to Amputate a Leg: And Other Ways to Stay Out of Trouble, page 164:
- Though it is a meagre source of food compared to grass when there is no grass, Salvation Jane may just save the day for a hungry herd.