Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: somerset
From Old English Sumorsǣte, which is short for Sumortūnsǣte, meaning "the people living at or dependent upon Sumortūn (Somerton)". An alternative suggestion is that the name derives from *Seo-mere-sætan meaning "settlers by the sea lakes".
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsʌm.ə.sɛt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsʌm.ɚ.sɛt/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Hyphenation: Som‧er‧set
- A maritime county in the west of England bordered by Gloucestershire, Bristol, Wiltshire, Dorset, Devon, the Severn estuary and the Bristol Channel.
- A home rule city, the county seat of Pulaski County, Kentucky, United States.
- A borough, the county seat of Somerset County, Pennsylvania, United States.
Terms derived from Somerset
county in England