Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Spayen (obsolete)
From Anglo-Norman Espayne, from Late Latin Spania, from earlier Latin Hispānia, from Ancient Greek Ἱσπανία (Hispanía), from Phoenician 𐤀𐤉-𐤔𐤀𐤐𐤀𐤍𐤉𐤌 (ay-shaphanim, literally “hyrax isle”), as the native wild rabbits were mistaken for hyraxes.
- A country in Europe, including most of the Iberian peninsula. Official name: Kingdom of Spain.
1865, James Stuart Laurie (editor), Manual of Elementary Geography, page 40:
- The mountains of Spain consist of parallel ranges, running from east to west […]
- 1999, Stephen P. Reyna, "The Force of Two Logics", in S. P. Reyna & R. E. Downs (editors), Deadly Developments: Capitalism, states and war (War and Scoiety, volume 5), page 34
- Spain fought with France constantly from 1494 through the 1540s, especially over Italy.
country in Europe
- Appendix:Place names in Spain
- (countries of Europe) country of Europe; Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City (Category: en:Countries of Europe)
- Countries of the world