Via other European languages, ultimately borrowed from Dutch Tayouan, the name of a peninsula off the coast of the city of Tainan; the word was a transcription of Tayuan, Tayoan (and other variants), a word in Sirayan (a Formosan language) meaning “foreigners,” referring to the early Chinese settlers. Eventually the word became the name of the entire island.
Taivāna f (4th declension)
- Taiwan (a country in Far East, Asia; capital: Taipei)
- Taivānas karogs ― the flag of Taiwan
- Ķīnas republika Taivānā ― the Chinese republic in Taiwan
- šobrīd Taivānas suverenitāti atzīst tikai 23 valstis ― currently only 23 countries recognize the sovereignty of Taiwan
- Taiwan (the island where the country of Taiwan is located)
- Taivānas sala ― the island of Taiwan