Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search

I would rather have this be redirected to 一二八事变, but I don't know how this done. The idea being that for all Chinese entries, you can look-up by Simplified or Traditional, but there would only be one page to maintain. The Traditional page would always be redirected to the Simplified page. A-cai 09:34, 30 January 2006 (UTC)

You can redirect a page by setting its content as #REDIRECT [[destination page link]]. Though as a policy note, why would simplified be the main page and traditional be the redirect page? Don't they use traditional as standard in Taiwan? This seems similar to the debate between English and American spellings of words. Also there are many cases where the traditional version is the same as the Japanese version and the Japanese section wouldn't go on the simplified page. Millie 12:18, 30 January 2006 (UTC)
I agree that the use of redirects should be avoided. Apart from the Japanese considerations there is no need to have full articles for both versions of a phrase, but the substantive article may be under either format. Eclecticology 19:12, 9 February 2006 (UTC)

Looks like 一二八 (literally, 1 2 8) + 事變 (incident). In other words, the incident that took place on 1/28 of a certain year).

There's a similar term, I think, in Korean (see Wikipedia, Samil Movement, which redirects to March 1st Movement).

  • 삼 (Sam) = 3 and 일 (Il) = 1 (in Sino-Korean numbers), hence 삼일 (Samil).

Does this help? --Ed Poor 14:39, 11 October 2006 (UTC)