One of the definitions of bitch slap is
- a slap directed toward a woman by a man. The open hand is used because the full force of a man's punch would hurt the weaker woman.
The use of bitch-slap condones violence to women, it comes out of the rap culture which demeans women as a matter of course. I'd like to see that integrated into the defintion, but am not sure how to best do it. --Evrik 15:35, 26 April 2007 (UTC)
Kill this article
the main idea of wiktionary is to create an online dictionary for reference. Unfortunately the trend of creating articles about slang words has overwhelmed the main purpose of this facility, therefore i say this article be killed (deleted).
This entry has survived Wiktionary's verification process.
Please do not re-nominate for verification without comprehensive reasons for doing so.
- Noun (slang, vulgar, derogatory) A slap directed toward a woman by a man (i.e. slapping a person as a pimp would slap a prostitute). The open hand is used because the full force of a man's punch would hurt the weaker woman.
- Verb (slang, vulgar, derogatory) To slap someone with an open hand, intended to humiliate, or to cause pain. The term is used figuratively to mean putting someone in their place.
- The purpose of this page is not to determine whether other dictionaries corroborate a claim, but to demonstrate that the term meets Wiktionary's own criteria for inclusion. To do this, you must find three durably archived (preferably via http://books.google.com/) uses (not mentions; if I say, "I'm going to bitch-slap you", that's using the term, but if I say, "'bitch-slap' is a horrible term", that's just mentioning the term, and doesn't serve our purposes) of the term in each of the given senses, and list them at the article page (using the format described at Wiktionary:Quotations). Once you've done that, please comment here to say so, so other people can examine them and make sure everything is O.K. (Once you've commented here that you've cited it, it will generally be untagged within about a week, assuming no one objects.) —RuakhTALK 18:31, 26 April 2007 (UTC)
- I think it best not to use OED's cites. A lot of the hits on that google books search look ok. Just find the best three, and put them on the article in the proper format, and you're all set. Atelaes 18:45, 26 April 2007 (UTC)
- Comment this is from w:Bitch#Uses
--Evrik 19:00, 26 April 2007 (UTC)
The term "bitch slap" is derived from American slang. In the original sense, a "bitch slap" is a powerful, full-swing slap in the face with the front of the hand, evoking the way an angry pimp might slap a defiant prostitute (not to be confused with a "pimp slap" which uses the back of the hand). However, the term is now frequently used figuratively to describe a humiliating defeat or punishment.
- RFVpassed. — Beobach972 18:18, 11 August 2007 (UTC)
Might sound silly but there is a jocular variation of this term in use (I think mainly on the internet) to refer to Christoper Hitchens' crushing of an opponent in a debate: Hitch slap. Could this be referrenced at all? 18.104.22.168 23:37, 21 March 2011 (UTC)
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, but feel free to discuss its conclusions.
Definition given is sketchy, but not reflective of how term is used. --Connel MacKenzie 19:13, 23 November 2006 (UTC)
- I expanded the deinition (corrected it if you will) and removed the tag. --Evrik 16:13, 26 April 2007 (UTC)
- Has gone through RFD, and stayed and cleaned up --Keene 01:00, 31 December 2007 (UTC)