Talk:duvet cover

Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search
Keep tidy.svg

The following information has failed Wiktionary's deletion process.

It should not be re-entered without careful consideration.

duvet cover[edit]

A cover... for a duvet. Mglovesfun (talk) 21:29, 23 May 2010 (UTC)

Hmm. We have pillow case too, but that's a WT:COALMINE case. --Rising Sun talk? contributions 21:31, 23 May 2010 (UTC)
Delete. SoP. Can be re-expressed in many other ways "doona cover", "blanket case", etc, etc. ---> Tooironic 09:07, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
If the definition ("a decorative cover for a duvet") is correct, keep, as there's no indication from the parts that it's decorative. However, I doubt that that's the case.​—msh210 15:13, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
A brown leaf is often brittle, should we include that on those grounds? ---> Tooironic 23:13, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
I was thinking that if you put curtains or a plastic ground sheet on a duvet that isn't a duvet cover. I'm sort of regretting rfd'ing this. It's one of those "SoP but wouldn't want to delete it ones", like CD player and DVD player. Also, are doona cover and blanket case Australian? Never heard of them. Mglovesfun (talk) 23:19, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
Yes. And don't regret, I think it's well worth deleting. ---> Tooironic 03:20, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
If you put curtains on a duvet, that's not a duvet cover, but that doesn't mean this isn't SOP. It's like a newspaper editor: I'm not one, even if I buy the Times at the newsstand and go through it with a red pen tsking. A newspaper editor is someone meant to edit newspapers (so to speak), and a duvet cover is something meant to cover duvets. But see my remarks, below, that I'm posting simultaneously with these but in reply to Tooironic's question.​—msh210 15:41, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
A brown leaf is often brittle, yes, and if brown leaf were defined as "A leaf that's brown and, often, brittle", I'd say to delete it. But if brown leaf were defined as "A brittle, brown leaf", excluding fresh leaves that happen to be brown, I'd say to keep it. This is the same: there are very plain-looking things that cover duvets, and then there are decorative ones. If a duvet cover is only the latter, then duvet cover is keepable.​—msh210 15:41, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
I agree with msh210 & Tooironic. If it helps, googling "plain duvet cover" gives 176,000 hits. Can a cover be both plain and decorative? Dbfirs 16:26, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
  • Keep, it's a specific thing and this is what it's called. Ƿidsiþ 17:41, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
    So is a bucket of water - how is this entry any different? ---> Tooironic 03:16, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
    But I don't think a bucket of water is a specific thing. The equivalent of that would be a "cover for duvets", which is obviously not a set phrase. This, however, is, and it has a very specific lexical referent, to me at least. Ƿidsiþ 13:20, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
I have understood a duvet cover is basically a large bag made of bedsheet cloth into which a duvet, blanket or other cover may be slipped. It is used instead of a top sheet in order to make the top sheet/cover combination more manageable. It may be plain or decorative. See [1] for a selection of duvet covers. If I'm right, the entry should be kept but the definition rewritten. --Hekaheka 13:10, 27 May 2010 (UTC)

This was apparently silently deleted by RIC yesterday; I have undeleted it. By the way, none of our senses of cover seems to cover this. Ƿidsiþ 04:57, 7 June 2010 (UTC)

Hekaheka, on June 3, switched the definition it no longer says the cover need be decorative. Delete if it's now correct.​—msh210 (talk) 17:39, 1 September 2010 (UTC)

Delete. Equinox 19:38, 3 December 2010 (UTC)

deleted -- Prince Kassad 21:20, 13 December 2010 (UTC)