If I were to state in a sentence... "They have prostituted themselves to foreign idealogies."
Would that be a proper way of using the word?
Meaning to "sell" or "give" themselves up to foreign idealogies. -unsigned comment
Yeah I think so.--18.104.22.168 13:18, 1 July 2006 (UTC)
Vaya listo este, cuando le conviene, o no encuentra palabras en catalán, utiliza el castellano.
croatian alphabet doesn't have accents on O or U
- Croatian: pròstitūtka hr(hr) f., kȗrva hr(hr) f.
Its the same for
- Macedonian: проститутка mk(mk) (prostitútka) f., курва mk(mk) (kúrva) f. (vulgar)
- Russian: проститутка ru(ru) (prostitútka) f
- If you click on the word, you will see that it does not really have any accents. The accents are only in the display to show the pitch accent: e = non-tonic short vowel; ē = non-tonic long vowel; è = short vowel with rising tone; é = long vowel with rising tone; ȅ = short vowel with falling tone; ȇ = long vowel with falling tone. —Stephen (Talk) 06:50, 29 January 2011 (UTC)
- I see that this wikipedia page says that, but this isn't explained anywhere on wiktionary, and its frequently listed as 'Roman spelling' and not under pronounciation, like IPA spelling. The Cyrillic spelling frequently doesn't have accents while the Roman spelling does. I've also never seen this notation used in a dead tree dictionary of Russian/Croatian/English.
I found this article slightly sexist,especially using the definition "woman or other person". How about just "person"?
- Because it's traditionally and most commonly a woman: that is a reasonable first inference when reading most material. Equinox ◑ 15:33, 28 March 2013 (UTC)
- As I said, it's a reasonable first inference: not giving this information will make it likely for readers to miss a very probable nuance. At least one professionally edited dictionary, Chambers, agrees with us: "a person (usu a woman) who accepts money in return for sexual intercourse". Equinox ◑ 20:53, 21 June 2016 (UTC)
Someone with the privileges please add 売春する （ばいしゅんする） (Baishunsuru) to the translations under the tab "to perform sexual activity for money". That's even acknowledged in the Japanese wiktionary https://ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%A3%B2%E6%98%A5--Grojasp23 (talk) 03:35, 30 July 2016 (UTC)