Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Is it acceptable in any written exams, tests, lerrers, etc, or is it just a slang word? Ferike333 17:42, 8 June 2009 (UTC)

Depends on whether the examiner allows the use of simplified spelling. It is a spelling found in standard dictionaries but failed to become as universally used as some of the other simplifications such as catalog that were promoted by spelling reformers in the early- to mid-20th century. Most likely to be accepted by Americans and was for several decades part of the house style of the Chicago Tribune that was colloquially known as Trib-speak. — Carolina wren discussió 20:45, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
Thank you. As far as I see it wouldn't be accepted here, in Hungary, as most examiners don't allow the use of American English (catalog, dialog, center, theater, color, favor, etc...). I have acquaintances who couldn't pass their exams for using American or the mix of American and British English. Most foreigners don't care to differentiate them, not even on the level of recognizing them. I don't think an avarage intermediate should but an upper-intermediate or higher. I want to get higher, so I do differentiate them. These are interesting stories of your language, thanks for the link. Ferike333 15:26, 9 June 2009 (UTC)