Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

This/these, that/those are the spectacular exception to the rule that English adjectives do not inflect. These four words inflect for grammatical number (plural vs. singular): they are the demonstrative adjectives. Along with the definite article the, they also form a special class of related words (the 3 or 4 letter initial 'th' words), in English, with the added fact that 'the' is essentially a grammaticalized form of 'that' (think of pointing at that, then saying instead of 'that thing', 'the thing'). These five articles need revision. --There is nothing upstairs to let me easily sign. Allamakee Democrat.

There are also much/many and little/few, which may be defined as inflectional pairs (or not); admittedly with the difference that the singular forms refer only to uncountable nouns and that the pairs are etymologically suppletive rather than Old English inflections preserved. Kolmiel (talk) 17:20, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
Mostly Agree to above, but pleaze use four tildes to sign ur. Also, this article lacked a rhyme template for the US pronunciation, now sure no other words in English end in oʊz listed in this dictionary, but it's entirely possible one could be out there, or maybe there really are some but their pronunciation templates are incorrect (o and oʊ are not distinguished between by English speakers, if I had to've guessed before reading this article how those was pronounced I'd say it had just an o sound.) Back to wat u said, the is not derived form that, but is instead from se, which was a demonstrative masculine pronoun, while that was the neuter form, still u r right about the articles needing heavy revision. 03:01, 30 April 2009 (UTC)