Jump to navigation Jump to search
- One of the following:
- Changes the first letter to lowercase.
- The radical–stroke sortkey (such as
金05), to sort the character in categories. No longer used: the sortkey is retrieved by Module:zh-sortkey.
As usual, etymologies should be referenced. Shuowen Jiezi is a standard reference from the early 2nd century CE, and is valuable but sometimes inaccurate.
- The overwhelming majority of Chinese characters (90+%) are phono-semantic compounds.
- Beware of etymologies based on current forms (especially claims that a character is an ideogrammic compound) – the current form is often a simplification of an older form, which may not be related to the current components.
- Richard Sear’s Chinese Etymology may prove a useful resource, showing older forms.