From Middle English Turkye, which is borrowed from French Turquie, Medieval Latin Turcia, from Turcus (“Turk”), from Byzantine Greek Τοῦρκος (Toûrkos), from Persian ترک (Turk), from Middle Persian twlk' (Turk), from an Old Turkic autonym, Türk or Türük.
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈtɜː.ki/
- (US) enPR: tûr'kē, IPA(key): /ˈtɝ.ki/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone: turkey
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)ki
- Country at the intersection of Europe and Asia on the Mediterranean. Official name: Republic of Turkey.
- Appendix:Place names in Turkey
- (countries of Europe) country of Europe; Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, North Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City
- Appendix:Countries of the world