User:Dan Polansky/Roget/17 similarity
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- similarity, resemblance, likeness, similitude, semblance ● affinity, approximation, parallelism ● agreement &c. 23 ● analogy, analogicalness[obs3] ● correspondence, homoiousia[obs3], parity.
- connaturalness[obs3], connaturality[obs3] ● brotherhood, family likeness.
- alliteration, rhyme, pun.
- repetition &c. 104 ● sameness &c. (identity) 13 ● uniformity &c. 16 ● isogamy[obs3].
- analogue ● the like ● match, pendant, fellow companion, pair, mate, twin, double, counterpart, brother, sister ● one's second self, alter ego, chip of the old block, par nobile fratrum[Lat], Arcades ambo[obs3], birds of a feather, et hoc genus omne[Lat] ● gens de meme famille[Fr].
- parallel ● simile ● type &c. (metaphor) 521 ● image &c. (representation) 554 ● photograph ● close resemblance, striking resemblance, speaking resemblance, faithful likeness, faithful resemblance.
- be similar &c. adj. ● look like, resemble, bear resemblance ● smack of, savor of, ● approximate ● parallel, match, rhyme with ● take after ● imitate &c. 19 ● favor, span [U. S.].
- render similar &c. adj. ● assimilate, approximate, bring near ● connaturalize[obs3], make alike ● rhyme, pun.
- similar ● resembling &c. v. ● like, alike ● twin.
- analogous, analogical ● parallel, of a piece[Fr] ● such as, so ● homoiousian[obs3].
- connatural[obs3], congener, allied to ● akin to &c. (consanguineous) 1 1.
- approximate, much the same, near, close, something like, sort of, in the ballpark, such like ● a show of ● mock, pseudo, simulating, representing.
- exact &c. (true) 494 ● lifelike, faithful ● true to nature, true to life, the very image, the very picture of ● for all the world like, comme deux gouttes d'eau[Fr] ● as like as two peas in a pod, as like as it can stare ● instar omnium[Lat], cast in the same mold, ridiculously like.
- et sic de similibus[Lat] ● tel maitre tel valet[Fr] ● tel pere tel fils[Fr] ● like master, like servant ● like father, like son ● the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree ● a chip off the old block