User:Dan Polansky/Roget/713 discord
- disagreement &c. 24 ● discord, disaccord[obs3], dissidence, dissonance ● jar, clash, shock ● jarring, jostling &c. v. ● screw loose.
- variance, difference, dissension, misunderstanding, cross purposes, odds, brouillerie[Fr] ● division, split, rupture, disruption, division in the camp, house divided against itself, disunion, breach ● schism &c. (dissent) 489 ● feud, faction.
- quarrel, dispute, tiff, tracasserie[obs3], squabble, altercation, barney *[obs3], demel, snarl, spat, towrow[obs3], words, high words ● wrangling &c. v. ● jangle, brabble[obs3], cross questions and crooked answers, snip-snap ● family jars.
- polemics ● litigation ● strife &c. (contention) 720 ● warfare &c. 722 ● outbreak, open rupture, declaration of war.
- broil, brawl, row, racket, hubbub, rixation| ● embroilment, embranglement[obs3], imbroglio, fracas, breach of the peace, piece of work[Fr], scrimmage, rumpus ● breeze, squall ● riot, disturbance &c (disorder) 59 ● commotion &c. (agitation) 315 ● bear garden, Donnybrook, Donnybrook Fair.
- subject of dispute, ground of quarrel, battle ground, disputed point ● bone of contention, bone to pick ● apple of discord, casus belli[Lat] ● question at issue &c. (subject of inquiry) 461 ● vexed question, vexata quaestio[Lat], brand of discord.
- troublous times[obs3] ● cat-and-dog life ● contentiousness &c. adj. ● enmity &c. 889 ● hate &c. 898 ● Kilkenny cats ● disputant &c. 710 ● strange bedfellows.
- be discordant &c. adj. ● disagree, come amiss &c. 24 ● clash, jar, jostle, pull different ways, conflict, have no measures with, misunderstand one another ● live like cat and dog ● differ ● dissent &c. 489 ● have a bone to pick, have a crow to pluck with.
- fall out, quarrel, dispute ● litigate ● controvert &c. (deny) 536 ● squabble, wrangle, jangle, brangle[obs3], bicker, nag ● spar &c. (contend) 720 ● have words &c. n. with ● fall foul of.
- split ● break with, break squares with, part company with ● declare war, try conclusions ● join issue, put in issue ● pick a quarrel, fasten a quarrel on ● sow dissension, stir up dissension &c. n. ● embroil, entangle, disunite, widen the breach ● set at odds, set together by the ears ● set against, pit against.
- get into hot water, fish in troubled waters, brawl ● kick up a row, kick up a dust ● turn the house out of window.
- discordant ● disagreeing &c. v. ● out of tune, ajar, on bad terms, dissentient &c. 489 ● unreconciled, unpacified ● contentious &c. 720.
- quarrelsome, unpacific[obs3] ● gladiatorial, controversial, polemic, disputatious ● factious ● litigious, litigant ● pettifogging.
- at odds, at loggerheads, at daggers drawn, at variance, at issue, at cross purposes, at sixes and sevens, at feud, at high words ● up in arms, together by the ears, in hot water, embroiled.
- torn, disunited.