|← Previous (2007-03-19)||Words harvested from the New York Times, 2007-03-20
||→ Next (2007-03-21)|
This is a list of lowercase non-hyphenated single words, lacking English entries in the English Wiktionary as of the most recent database dump, found in the 2007-03-20 issue of the New York Times (2009-02-02).
Please create these entries if you are able. Feel free to maintain and annotate the list as well. Typos and non-English words can be removed, or sequestered at the bottom of the list if annotation is needed.
The quotes often provide good usage examples and attestation evidence and, in many cases, should be included in the entry or citation page for the lemma.
Clicking an "add" link should preload the edit form with a dummy entry including a formatted citation for the passage in question. In some cases a "notemp" link is also provided; this generates a template-free version.
False blue links (entries that exist but lack a section for the appropriate language) are marked with a "*".
94570 tokens ‧ 70025 valid lowercase tokens ‧ 8700 types ‧ 34 (~ 0.391%) words before cleaning ‧
2007 March 20, Lawrence K. Altman, “Rise of a Deadly TB Reveals a Global System in Crisis”, New York Times:add
- XDR-TB is defined as tuberculosis that is resistant to the two most important antituberculosis drugs (isoniazid and rifampin), along with two other drugs: a member of the fluoroquinolone class and at least one of three others (capreomycin, kanamycin and amikacin).
2007 March 20, Vivien Schweitzer, “In Favor of Something Big, Loud and Often Ignored”, New York Times:add
- So the cherubically fresh-faced Mr. Jacobs, wearing a black suit and collarless white shirt, spoke with evangelical fervor during a recent interview in Paul Hall at Juilliard about his desire to stimulate interest in the instrument.
2007 March 20, Natalie Angier, “The Tilted Earth at Its ‘Equal Night of Spring’”, New York Times:add
- That tilt is fairly fixed, and as Earth makes its way on its circumsolar migration and rotates on its imaginary skewer, the northern tip of the skewer always points toward the same spot in space, the bold sparkle of Polaris, the North Star.
2007 March 20, Eric Nagourney, “Disparities: Secondhand Smoke Effects May Vary in Children”, New York Times:add
- Equipment was placed in their homes that measured nicotine levels, and the researchers took blood and hair samples from the children to check for cotinine, which is formed when nicotine is metabolized.
2007 March 20, Andrew Jacobs, “Booker Tries to Unseat Legislators, Dividing Party”, New York Times:add
- Now, eight months after his inauguration, Mr. Booker is hoping to wave those brooms again, this time in a countywide effort to unseat a number of state legislators who he says are standing in the way of his ambitious agenda.
2007 March 20, Laurie Tarkan, “In Testing for Allergies, a Single Shot May Suffice”, New York Times:add
- If the antibody IgE is bound to the immune system’s mast cells in the skin, the patient will get an itchy, hivelike wheal surrounded by redness.
2007 March 20, Andy Newman, “Trial Opens for a Former Brooklyn Judge Accused of Accepting Bribes to Fix Cases”, New York Times:add
- Justice Garson’s claims about the sale of judgeships, meanwhile, led Mr. Hynes to focus on the head of the Brooklyn Democratic Party, Clarence Norman Jr. , who decided nearly single-handedly who got the party’s nomination. Mr. Norman, who is also a former state assemblyman, has been convicted three times, most recently in February, for extorting money for the party from judicial candidates.
2007 March 20, The Associated Press, “At Bank of America, $23 Million for Chief”, New York Times:add
- Mr. Lewis, 59, received $1.5 million in salary, $6.5 million in nonequity incentive plan compensation, and stock and option awards that were valued by the company at $14.6 million on the dates they were issued.
2007 March 20, Katie Zezima, “Tests by Pet Food Maker Killed 7 Animals Before Recall”, New York Times:add
- Elizabeth Krottinger of Addison, Tex., usually feeds her five dogs dry food but bought them wet Nutro Natural Choice-brand turkey and gravy, and chicken and rice, as a treat for the birthday of her mini pinscher Minnie.
2007 March 20, Jeff Bailey, “Delta Says Top Executive Won’t Receive Stock Package”, New York Times:add
- Over all, 1,200 managers will share 2.4 percent of the new shares to be distributed, valued at $240 million in projections that estimate the airline’s market capitalization postbankruptcy at $10 billion.
2007 March 20, “Yes, Let’s Be Candid About the Mideast (5 Letters)”, New York Times:add
- Though Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has consistently endorsed a two-state solution, the recent experiences in leaving Lebanon and Gaza have sobered many Israelis and others deeply committed to peace against making concessions unreciprocated by a partner credibly committed to peace.
2007 March 20, James Barron, “Celebrity Offender, Model Begins Sanitation Duties”, New York Times:add
- For much of the day, there was not much to report from outside the warehouselike garage beside the East River and beneath the busy South Street Viaduct, which rumbled with traffic in the morning rush.
- candelight = candlelight
2007 March 20, Libby Sander, “On 4th Anniversary of War, a Day of Vigils and Protests”, New York Times:add
- At a candelight vigil in Chicago, Paul Hertz read names of Iraqi civilians who had been killed in the war.