|← Previous (2009-02-03)||Words harvested from the New York Times, 2009-02-04
||→ Next (2009-02-05)|
This is a list of lowercase non-hyphenated single words, lacking English entries in the English Wiktionary as of the most recent database dump, found in the 2009-02-04 issue of the New York Times (2009-02-04).
Please create these entries if you are able. Feel free to maintain and annotate the list as well. Typos and non-English words can be removed, or sequestered at the bottom of the list if annotation is needed.
The quotes often provide good usage examples and attestation evidence and, in many cases, should be included in the entry or citation page for the lemma.
Clicking an "add" link should preload the edit form with a dummy entry including a formatted citation for the passage in question. In some cases a "notemp" link is also provided; this generates a template-free version.
False blue links (entries that exist but lack a section for the appropriate language) are marked with a "*".
80374 tokens ‧ 58914 valid lowercase tokens ‧ 7625 types ‧ 24 (~ 0.315%) words before cleaning ‧
2009 February 4, Natasha Singer, “F.D.A. Panel Approves Lilly Drug for Clotting”, New York Times:add
- For every 1,000 patients treated with prasugrel instead of clopidogrel, there would be three fewer cardiac-related deaths and 21 fewer nonfatal heart attacks but there would also be two additional deaths caused by bleeding and three more incidents of serious but nonfatal bleeding, Dr. Unger told the panel.
2009 February 4, Aliza Rosenbaum And Edward Hadas, “Buffett Pays Low for Another Icon”, New York Times:add
- Harley has a global, nearly cultlike following, but has had a tough time finding buyers for its expensive wheels: new shipments are expected to fall as much as 13 percent in 2009, after an 8 percent drop in 2008.
2009 February 4, Peter Gelling And Thomas Fuller, “Myanmar Refugees Rescued at Sea”, New York Times:add
- The survivors rescued Monday told navy personnel a similar story, adding that originally there was a flotilla of nine motorless boats that had been led out to sea by the Thais, containing about 1,200 people.
2009 February 4, Robert Sharoff, “Two Chicago Towers Fall Victim to Scarce Financing”, New York Times:add
- Jim Loewenberg, a co-chief executive of the Magellan Development Group, the developer of the multibuilding Lakeshore East mixed-use residential project directly across the Chicago River from the Spire, said neither Mr. Kelleher nor Teng & Associates necessarily did anything wrong.
2009 February 4, Andrew Pollack, “InterMune Stock Soars on Results of Lung Disease Drug Study”, New York Times:add
- But InterMune said that even in the unsuccessful trial there were signs that the drug, called pirfenidone, was helping patients.
2009 February 4, Brad Stone, “In Campaign Wars, Apple Still Has Microsoft’s Number”, New York Times:add
- Apple’s ads promote what you can do with an iPhone or iPod , or show the comedian John Hodgman as a schlubby PC guy being outfoxed by the actor Justin Long as hip Mac guy.
2009 February 4, Ron Lieber, “How to Avoid a Tom Daschle Tax Problem”, New York Times:add
- THE CASE FOR GETTING HELP Mr. Geithner made a number of mistakes that he later corrected, including neglecting to pay payroll taxes when he worked for the International Monetary Fund , and improperly counting sleepaway camp in his dependent care tax credit calculations.
2009 February 4, Javier C. Hernandez, “Giant Manhattan School to Be Broken Up to Further Smaller-Is-Better Policy”, New York Times:add
- “It’s because the students we have come from socioeconomically disadvantaged families, making it impossible for them to get any homework help.”
2009 February 4, Lynn Zinser, “Ranger With a Place in Hearts Has a Place in the Rafters”, New York Times:add
- I just felt very, very, very I don’t know how many verys you can use humbled.”
- wimped out
2009 February 4, Thomas L. Friedman, “Don’t Try This at Home”, New York Times:add
- Meanwhile, the West Bank Palestinian leaders are busy publicly collecting food and blankets to help all those Palestinian civilians brutalized by the Israeli incursion into Gaza, while privately demanding to know from senior Israeli officials why they wimped out and didn’t wipe Hamas in Gaza off the face of earth casualties be damned.