Hello, and welcome to Wiktionary. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- How to edit a page is a concise list of technical guidelines to the wiki format we use here: how to, for example, make text boldfaced or make a hyperlink. The Wiktionary tutorial is a more wordy, multi-page document that helps you through those same formatting issues, and also touches on a couple of other issues relevant to editing.
- The document What Wiktionary is not may be of interest. In particular, if you've edited Wikipedia in the past, you should note that Wiktionary is not an encyclopedia and does not have Wikipedia-style page titles.
- How to start a new page is a technical guide to, well, how to start a new page. But you'll also want to look at our guidelines for how to format an entry (what goes where) and our criteria for inclusion (what can be included), which are our two main policy documents. (You can get a feel for how to format an entry by looking at existing entries.)
- The Sandbox is a safe place for testing markup.
- The FAQ has, of course, some frequently (and some infrequently) asked questions, and their answers.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! By the way, you can sign your comments on talk (discussion) pages using four tildes, like this:
~~~~, which automatically produces your name (or IP number if you're not signed in) and the current date and time. If you have any questions, then see the help pages, add a question to one of the discussion rooms or ask me on my talk page.—msh210℠ 18:16, 11 July 2008 (UTC)
- SOP Sex on the phone? Standard Operating Procedure? Start of Production? I may miss something. --Felonia 15:37, 27 July 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks. I remember now about SOP. I guess I won't be giving you my phone number after all that, too bad...--Felonia 15:41, 27 July 2008 (UTC)
- You're all volunteers here, aren't you, right? --Felonia 16:27, 27 July 2008 (UTC)
Bonjour! Welcome back. Παρατηρητής
- You are right, the latter is more common. However, the former seems valable too. I'll move it. --Felonia 21:31, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
- I disagree. If a template can save editors' time, it is surely a good thing, IMHO. --Felonia 21:47, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
- Right, so apparently I don't speak any language. Thanks Dan. --Felonia 08:52, 11 October 2010 (UTC)
Deleting user talk history
There is no policy on this AFAIK, but I think removing histories of one's talk pages without moving them to archive is a really poor practice. So I have reverted your removal of your talk page history. --Dan Polansky 11:55, 11 October 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, you disagree. So do I, with you. The thing is, there is even a mention of your being Wonderfool. This should better remain visible. --Dan Polansky 12:17, 11 October 2010 (UTC)