Wiktionary:Random Competition 2017
For this competition, we will be playing a variety of a board game. The board is identical to a Scrabble board, and the tiles used are identical to the ones used in English Scrabble. The rules are based on Scrabble, but modified to allow more "words". I'm assuming that everyone knows the basic rules of Scrabble, if not - look at this.
Modifications to the rules
- Acceptable words
- Any word in any language that uses Roman script and that passes WT:CFI is accepted. Spaces, capital letters, hyphens, punctuation, diacritical marks etc. are allowed, but for the sake of gameplay, are ignored when being put on the board. So, the word alitayttaa will be accepted as alitäyttää is a word. The words lookupto, YMCA, top-heavy are, therefore, valid too. Letters such as œ may be used as either o or e.
- Words not using the Roman alphabet are also valid, provided they are properly transliterated according to the general rules of the language. Hence, bystreje is allowed, as быстрее is a Russian word.
- Scoring: As multiple players will play with the same letters at the same time, the scoring system must be modified.
- Every round lasts for a day, or at least until the time when the Gamesmaster is next online after a period of 24 hours.
- With the seven tiles, players must make the word with the most points. Points are awarded in exactly the same way as in normal English-language Scrabble. Players should email their words to the Gamesmaster in such a way to show the starting place and the direction, e.g. [H7 across: bystreje]. Every player gets a corresponding score which will be placed in the points section.
- The highest-scoring word will be placed onto the board, and then new letters will be taken out of a virtual bag for the next round. In the result of a tie, the first player to submit gets their word on the table.
- Play continues thus until all the letters have been used up. The player with the highest total score is the winner.
- Contesting words
- Anybody is free to contest the validity of any words. Any words played which are later deleted from Wiktionary will incur a penalty of receiving nil points.
- Gold - Triple word
- Pink - Double word
- Purple - Triple letter
- Cyan - Double letter
On a blank board, with letters R - 1 J - 8 F - 4 A - 1 G - 2 S - 1 M -3
- Bob - H6 down - ARMS - 12 points
- Dave- E8 across - JAMS - 26 points
- Ladylove988 - H6 down JARGS - 42 points
- Sockpuppet9923 - H4 down - JMARsFG - 0 points (invalid word)
- Maddog44 - H4 down - FARMS - 28 points
In this case, Ladylove988's word JARGS is placed onto the bored, after she adds the word jargs to the dictionary.