Wiktionary:User access levels
|This page is no longer active. It is being kept for historical interest.|
|No discussion is needed to revive this page; simply remove the
A new feature of MediWiki 1.5 allows user groups to be created which include users at different levels.
Each group can be assigned a mixture of the following rights.
- read ***
- Allows users to read pages (other than whitelisted pages if that option is on)
- edit ***
- Allows editing of any page which is not protected
- move **
- Lets users change the title of a page by moving it
- delete *
- Lets a user delete a page
- undelete *
- Lets a user view deleted versions, undelete a previously deleted page, or undelete specific revisions of a deleted page
- protect *
- Lets users lock or unlock a page, and edit locked pages
- block *
- Enables a user to block an IP address, user name, or range of IPs, from editing
- Lets a user change the access levels of another user
- createaccount ***
- Lets a user create a user account for another user, or for themselves
- upload **
- Lets a user upload an image or other file to the wiki, or to overwrite an existing non-protected file
- rollback *
- Gives a user a link to more easily revert a bad edit.
- editinterface *
- Lets users edit the MediaWiki namespace to affect the interface
- Should let users change settings that affect the whole site but is currently non-functional
- Lets users edit without their edits showing up in recent changes (usually only used for mass edits by bots)
- asksql *
- Lets a user query the database using SQL (currently disabled on Wikipedia)
- Lets a user find all the IP addresses used by a particular logged in user, and to show all the contributions from a given IP address, including those made by logged in users. See meta:CheckUser for a discussion of this.
On Wikimedia sites:
- Anonymous unsnon-signed-in users marked ***
- Ordinary users have the abilities marked **.
- The admin group has the abilities marked *.
- The bureaucrat group has a restricted Special:Makesysop interface, while the steward group has the full Special:Userrights interface and an extended version
There has been discussion of making some of the abilities available individually, but there has been no consensus to do this as yet.