Wiktionary:Votes/pl-2016-08/Definitions — introduction
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Definitions — introduction
Voting on: Editing the first paragraph of WT:EL#Definitions.
- This is a follow-up to Wiktionary:Votes/pl-2015-12/Definitions. It failed in February 2016. The previous vote proposed editing the whole "Definitions" section. The current vote proposes editing only the first paragraph.
- Removing the whole sentence "Each definition may be treated as a sentence: beginning with a capital letter and ending with a full stop." It seems to be a controversial statement. For details, see comments in the previous vote and these two 2015 polls: "Poll 2" (15 participants) and "Poll 8" (9 participants).
- Removing "The definitions are the most fundamental piece of dictionary information". It is a comment rather than a rule.
- Removing "[definitions] do not have their own header". Apparently, this means that we don't have a "Definitions" header. Arguably, there's no need to mention what we don't do in this case. Adding the text "The definitions are in the POS section, below the headword line." — this is the actual placement of the definitions.
- Replacing "They are simply added in one big block, line after line, each beginning with a number sign (#)." by "The definitions are organized as a numbered list. The numbers are generated by adding the number sign (#) at the start of each definition in the wikitext." The proposed text is intended to sound more professional and explain the numbered list better than the previous text. Furthermore, the previous text mentions a "big block"; this excludes entries with only one or a couple definitions, that don't make a "big block" by any standard.
- Replacing "The key terms of a definition should be wikified." by "The key terms of a definition should be linked to the respective entries." The term "link" is more widely used than "wikify"; the latter is more of a wiki jargon.
- Vote starts: 00:00, 14 August 2016 (UTC)
- Vote ends: 23:59, 12 September 2016 (UTC)
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2015/May#Poll 2
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2015/May#Poll 8
- (previous vote) Wiktionary:Votes/pl-2015-12/Definitions
- Wiktionary talk:Votes/pl-2016-08/Definitions — introduction
- Support --Daniel Carrero (talk) 21:18, 14 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support. — Andrew Sheedy (talk) 01:33, 15 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support -Xbony2 (talk) 20:21, 15 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support SemperBlotto (talk) 05:02, 23 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support — Eru·tuon 06:33, 1 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support --WikiTiki89 14:57, 8 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support - DonnanZ (talk) 10:02, 12 September 2016 (UTC)
- Abstain —Mr. Granger (talk • contribs) 12:01, 8 September 2016 (UTC)
- Abstain I really miss "The definitions are the most fundamental piece of dictionary information". Yes, that is not a regulation, but I still miss it. I have not found any issue to make it worth opposing. --Dan Polansky (talk) 17:27, 9 September 2016 (UTC)