These are the use cases, discussions and votes concerning Wikidata. See also: Wiktionary:Wikidata policy.
Lexicographical data in Wikidata
The sister project Wikidata has released a new namespace, which is similar to Wiktionary built. The project is called Lexicographical data in Wikidata and will support Wiktionary with structured data. The first version of lexicographical data in Wikidata has deployed in May 2018 and the first Lexeme is about a Sumerian noun. The project does not have too many features at the beginning, but these will come with time. Feel free to contribute, further information you will find here.
This is a list of possible uses for Wikidata. Some of them may not have been properly discussed. Consensus is needed before implementing them.
- Storing names, image names, properties and further information of Unicode characters. (discussion and discussion)
- Storing bibliographical data for citations and references. (mentioned at the end of discussion and of discussion)
- Storing place name information for our use in definitions and categories of place names. (discussion)
- Storing information about letters and alphabets. (discussion)
The following use cases may be unwanted, or may be more controversial than most.
- Storing senses and translations. (discussion)
- Storing a list of language codes and the respective language names. (discussion)
- Storing the family tree of languages. (discussion)
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2016/September#Wikidata for Wiktionary: let’s get ready for lexicographical data!
- Wiktionary:Grease pit/2017/February#Porting and debugging of module.
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/February#Proposal: Implementing Wikidata access
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/March#Enabling Wikidata arbitrary access
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/April#Using Wikidata to store alphabets
- Wiktionary:Grease pit/2017/May#Wikidata access
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/June#Enable sitelinks on Wikidata for Wiktionary pages (outside main namespace)
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/June#Wikidata precautionary principle
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/June#Wikidata proposal: Add "English Wiktionary name" as a statement about all languages
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/June#How can we use Wikidata's existing data pool?
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/June#Wikidata items as senseids
- Wiktionary:Beer parlour/2017/June#Enabling Wikidata arbitrary access
- Wiktionary:Votes/2017-05/Installing Wikidata (proposal to install: Passed: 9–3–2 [75%])
- Wiktionary:Votes/pl-2017-06/Wikidata precautionary principle
- Wiktionary:Votes/2017-11/Placing Wikidata ID in sense ID of proper nouns