Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|This page is no longer active. It is being kept for historical interest.|
|No discussion is needed to revive this page; simply remove the
PURPOSE OF Wikisaurus
Wikisaurus is intended to fulfil a number of purposes as an electronic Thesaurus.
- Given one word, by searching, to provide lists of alternative words with the same or similar meaning.
- for writers, this may provide an alternative, instead of repeating the use of one word.
- for readers, this may provide an additional insight to the meaning of a word, which may not be clear from the definitions in the main entry for a word.
- A user may be trying to recall a particular word. They can be helped to find that word by finding a word with similar meaning in the Wikisaurus.
- In all cases, the user will still be best advised to check the main entry for the word they have found, to check its usage, definitions etc.
Wikisaurus also serves a purpose for new words just finding their way into Wiktionary.
- A word may not have its own entry (perhaps not yet meeting the exacting Critieria For Inclusion,) and may first appear in a Wikisaurus entry. The meaning can be understood just through the list of synonyms.
- This can be particularly true for newly generated words, which will often be found only in the /more page of a Wikisaurus entry.