Certain software can enable the user to gain readier access to Wiktionary and its contents.
- Huevos (A free open source hot-key activated program for Mac OSX which offers programmability within the application in adding search engines) Huevos Homepage Add the following string into the program's preferences to allow searches of Wiktionary: http://wiktionary.org/w/wiki.phtml?search=%@
- SimpleSearch (A free tab sidebar program for Mac OSX which allows search engines to be added in a supplementary file and then accessed for quick searches.) SimpleSearch Homepage. Follow the program's readme for creating new plug-ins and use the following string in the text file to allow searches of Wiktionary: http://wiktionary.org/w/wiki.phtml?search=
- Mozilla Firefox (A free, open-source Web browser for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux that supports search plugins) Firefox Homepage Search the Mycroft directory for "Wiktionary", and install the resulting plugin. A Wiktionary search will be available in the drop-down menu of the search bar (by default, it looks like a magnifying glass or Google's logo).
- simon an open source speech recognition suite for X11 and Windows can import dictionaries from wiktionary
- w:User:CryptoDerk/CDVF CryptoDerk's Vandal Fighter. By changing all references from "en.wikipedia" to "en.wiktionary" this tool works admirably well on Wiktionary.