Jump to navigation Jump to search
aasvogel (plural aasvogels)
- (South Africa, rare, literary) Vulture. [First attested in the mid 19th century.]
- 1912, H. Rider Haggard, Marie:
- As the charge exploded I saw the aasvogel give a kind of backward twist.
This word has no currency in modern South African English. It has been used by writers Rider Haggard, John Buchan and Saki to lend colour and authenticity to their works.
- bird feeding on carrion, vulture
- (figuratively) vulture, a person who profits from the suffering of others