Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (derogatory) A formal or artificial form of communicating prevalent in institutes of higher education.
- Coordinate term: journalese
- 2002, Lory Janelle Dance, Tough Fronts: The Impact of Street Culture on Schooling, Psychology Press (→ISBN), page 51:
- Sometimes during intellectual conversation, I would switch from academese to my native black English vernacular. I would utter observations replete with black linguistic idioms and colloquialisms.
- 2016, Anastacia Kurylo, Tatyana Dumova, Social Networking: Redefining Communication in the Digital Age, Rowman & Littlefield (→ISBN), page 76:
- One way this is communicated is through language use wherein the language of the researcher is often verbose and philosophically or methodologically inaccessible to the nonacademic, also known as academese […]