- (zoology, applied to bivalve mollusks) Without a distinct head.
- (botany) Having the style spring from the base, instead of from the apex, as is the case in certain ovaries
- Without a leader or chief.
- Wanting the beginning
- (prosody) Deficient in the beginning, as a line of poetry that is missing its expected opening syllable
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Brande to this entry?)
headless — see headless
without a leader or chief — see leaderless
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.