across the pond
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˌkɹɒs ðə ˈpɒnd/
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˌkɹɔs ðə ˈpɑnd/
Audio (GA) (file)
- (Canada, cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /əˈkɹɑs ðə ˈpɑnd/
- Rhymes: -ɒnd
- (informal) On or to the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.
- The phrase usually implies the North Atlantic Ocean between North America and Europe, and is most often used to describe travel or the flow of information between Ireland or the United Kingdom, and Canada or the United States.
(informal) on or to the other side of the Atlantic Ocean