Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /əˌləʊ.i ˈvɛ.ɹə/, /əˌləʊ.i ˈvɪə.ɹə/, /ˌæ.ləʊ ˈvɛ.ɹə/, /ˌæ.ləʊ ˈvɪə.ɹə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈæ.loʊ ˈvɛ.ɹə/, /ˌæ.loʊ ˈvɪ.ɹə/
- A plant of the species Aloe vera, grown as an ornamental, thought to have medicinal value; an extract, often a gel, made from the plant.
- 2001, White Eagle, chapter 2, in The Medicine Way, page 71:
- Some other trees like the cactus and aloe veras, have other means of protection or feel no need for it and they grow much faster and easier that way.
- 2003, Patricia Bragg, Paul C Bragg, Apple Cider Vinegar Miracle Health System, page 22,
- Another excellent cleanser and toner is aloe gel or fresh aloe vera cactus pulp. Cut off 1 inch of aloe vera rib, slit open and rub yellowish pulp directly on the skin.
- 2005, Richard H. Pitcairn, Susan Hubble Pitcairn, Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats, page 139,
- Further, scientists have learned that certain houseplants reduce pollutants, especially philodendrons (formaldehyde, benzene, and carbon monoxide), spider plants (carbon monoxide), aloe veras (formaldehyde), and gerbera daisies and chrysanthemums (benzene).
- 2006, Wolfgang Heinemann, Surviving Brain Cancer: A Personal Memoir, page 147:
- Every morning and evening I drink half a tumbler of pure aloe vera jelly, which also strengthens my immune system. I believe that these generous portions of aloe vera above all have led to an improvement in my blood-test results after seven months of chemotherapy—in fact they are better than they were before.
- 2009, Gwendolyn Zepeda, Houston, We Have a Problema, unnumbered page,
- An orange cat rubbed against it and then threaded through the aloe veras, meowing lazily as Jessica opened the screen door.
- 2013, Judy Chapman, Ultimate Spa: Asia's Best Spas and Spa Treatments, page 196:
- In ayurveda, aloe vera is sometimes called kumari or "princess with the gel" or ghrit kumari ("ghee of the princess"). […] Alternatively, try this recipe created by the staff at Six Senses Spas. It is made with cooling lavender and aloe vera as well as nourishing milk.
- (Plant of the species Aloe vera): Barbados aloe