Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The process of amalgamating; a mixture, merger or consolidation.
- The result of amalgamating; a mixture or alloy.
- (obsolete) The intermarriage and interbreeding of different ethnicities or races. [in the US, supplanted after 1863 by miscegenation; elsewhere, in use into the 1900s]
- 1855, Frederick Douglass, chapter VII, in My Bondage and My Freedom, New York: Miller, Orton and Mulligan:
- All the circumstances of William, on the great house farm, show him to have occupied a different position from the other slaves, and, certainly, there is nothing in the supposed hostility of slaveholders to amalgamation, to forbid the supposition that William Wilks was the son of Edward Lloyd.
the process of amalgamating
the result of amalgamating
the production of an alloy of mercury
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
amalgamation f (plural amalgamations)