Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To declare to be anathema; to curse and reject.
- 1972, Augustinian Studies - Volumes 3-5, page 202:
- What does Augustine want done? He invites Felix to anathemize Mani — but adds, ' magnanimously, ' that no one will compel him to do so. Of course Augustine had just threatened from his cathedra, surrounded by his faithful, to anathemize Felix — with grave possible consequences.
- 2009, Guido Stucco, God's Eternal Gift, page 674:
- We anathemize all those who say that man can be without sin, if he wants to, without the help of God; we anathemize those who say that death does not come through Adam and that life does not come through Christ; we anathemize those who say that one who is born from two baptized parents does not need to be baptaized;
- 2015, Erich Goode, The Handbook of Deviance, page 20:
- Likewise, jihadists – Muslim fundamentalists who advocate armed struggle against what they perceive as Islam's enemies – anathemize the secular West, all it stands for, and its inhabitants as well, while secular Westerners express an analogous sentiment, in words and deeds, toward the miltant followers of Muhammad.