Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (anatomy) The growing together of bones to form a single unit.
- (medicine) The stiffening of a joint as the result of such abnormal fusion.
- (figurative) An onset of stiffness or inflexibility.
- 1914, Brand Whitlock, Forty Years of It, introduction:
- Yet in using the word democracy, one must plead for a distinction, or, better, a reversion, indicated by the curious anchylosis that, at a certain point in their maturity, usually sets in upon words newly put in use to express some august and large spiritual reality.
the growing together of bones