Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -ʌl
- IPA(key): /əˈnʌl/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Homophone: Anal (an ethnic group in India; not to be confused with anal, which is not homophonous)
- (transitive) To formally revoke the validity of.
- 1902, William James, “Lecture 2”, in The Varieties of Religious Experience:
- If you ask how religion thus falls on the thorns and faces death, and in the very act annuls annihilation, I cannot explain the matter, for it is religion's secret, and to understand it you must yourself have been a religious man of the extremer type.
- (transitive) To dissolve (a marital union) on the grounds that it is not valid.
- (formally revoke the validity of): make or render null and void, null, nullify
- (dissolve (a marital union)): dissolve
formally revoke the validity of
dissolve (a marital union)