Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 French
- 3 Italian
- 4 Latin
- anticke (obsolete)
- Old, used especially of furniture and household items; out of date.
1905, Baroness Emmuska Orczy, chapter 1, in The Tremarn Case:
- “There the cause of death was soon ascertained ; the victim of this daring outrage had been stabbed to death from ear to ear with a long, sharp instrument, in shape like an antique stiletto, which […] was subsequently found under the cushions of the hansom. […]”
old; out of date
antique (plural antiques)
- An old piece of furniture, household item, or other similar item.
- (figuratively, mildly pejorative) An old person.
- (intransitive) To shop for antiques; to search for antiques.
- (transitive) To make an object appear to be an antique in some way.
- antique in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- antique in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
antique m, f (plural antiques)
- “antique” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).