Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- enPR: ăʺpu̇stŏʹlĭk
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌæpəˈstɒlɪk/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌæpəˈstɑːlɪk/
Audio (US) (file)
- pertaining to an apostle, or to the apostles, their times, or their peculiar spirit
- an apostolical mission
- the apostolic age
- according to the doctrines of the apostles; delivered or taught by the apostles
- apostolic faith or practice
- Of or relating to the pope or the papacy; papal.
- Apostolic church: the Christian church; — so called on account of its apostolic foundation, doctrine, and order. The churches of Rome, Armenia, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem were called apostolic churches.
pertaining to the apostles
according to the doctrines of the apostles
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked