Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: assignât
assignat (plural assignats)
- (historical) A banknote used during the French Revolution, on the security of state land.
- They would not give a dog's ear of their most rumpled and ragged Scotch paper for twenty of your fairest assignats.
- 1932, Duff Cooper, Talleyrand, Folio Society 2010, p. 25:
- He was in favour of a national bank; he was strongly opposed to the reckless issue of assignats and spoke against it in the Assembly.
- 2002, Colin Jones, The Great Nation, Penguin 2003, p. 508:
- The continuing depreciation of the assignat was worsening problems: in November and December, the currency's cash return dipped below 1 per cent of its face value, bringing a comic aspect to many exchanges and inducing street beggars to decline alms in paper form.
assignat m (plural assignats)
- “assignat” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).