Jump to navigation Jump to search
Literally, "big men".
- (historical) social stratum of free people characterized by ownership of land, slaves, buffaloes, pigs and horses.
- Antonym: ata ana (children of men)
- social stratum of people who descend from slave owners, and who possess land, buffaloes, pigs and horses.
- Antonym: ata maraha (small men)
- Geirnaert-Martin, Danielle C. (1992), “ata madaka”, in The Woven Land of Lamboya. Socio-cosmic Ideas and Values in West Sumba, Eastern Indonesia (CNWS Publications; 11), Leiden: Centre of Non-Western Studies, Leiden University, page 193