Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [ʔɓəwŋ͡m˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [ʔɓəwŋ͡m˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [ʔɓəwŋ͡m˧˧]
Audio (Hồ Chí Minh City) (file)
From Proto-Vietic *poːŋ (“flower”). Cognate with Muong pông and Thavung โปง.
This word had been tentatively proposed as being connected etymologically with Hmong-Mien (Iu Mien biangh, White Hmong paj) or Austronesian (Malay bunga < Proto-Austronesian *buŋa., etc.) (for examples, Hsiu, 2017; H. Hayes, 1999, Hoàng Thị Châu, 2009). Ratliff (2017) connected the Hmong-Mien and Austronesian terms, but did not mention any Austroasiatic comparanda. In any case, the connection is not certain and might just be look-alikes.
- (Central Vietnam, Southern Vietnam) bloom; flower
- Synonym: hoa
- gấu bông ― a cotton-stuffed bear
- Indicates flowers.
- Synonym: đoá
- Although bông in the sense of "flower" has mostly been displaced by hoa in the Northern dialects, lúa (“rice plant”) is an exception in that it is most often only accompanied by bông (i.e. bông lúa, lúa trổ bông, etc.) and not hoa, regardless of the dialect.
- Vietnamese terms with IPA pronunciation
- Vietnamese terms with audio links
- Vietnamese terms inherited from Proto-Vietic
- Vietnamese terms derived from Proto-Vietic
- Vietnamese lemmas
- Vietnamese nouns
- Central Vietnamese
- Southern Vietnamese
- Vietnamese terms with usage examples
- Vietnamese classifiers
- Vietnamese terms borrowed from French
- Vietnamese terms derived from French
- Vietnamese dated terms