Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
balebos (plural balebatim)
- (Judaism) Master of the house, head of the household, host.
- (Judaism) House owner, homeowner.
- (Judaism, by extension) Boss, person in charge (of anything).
- (Judaism) Important man, bourgeoisie.
2008, Joseph Margoshes, “Reb Vovtshi's Kloyz”, in A World Apart: A Memoir of Jewish Life in Nineteenth Century Galicia, ISBN 9781934843109, page 51:
- An annual custom that lasted for many years involved a celebration of the eight days of Chanukah for all of the balebatim. Every evening was hosted by a different balebos and there was a lavish feast.
- (Judaism) Layman, congregant, non-clergy.