A ball and chain on display at the Sagalunds Museum in Kimitoön
ball and chain (plural balls and chains)
- A heavy iron ball attached to a prisoner's leg by a chain as a means of restraint.
- (slang) One's wife, as a symbol of restraint.
- (figuratively) Anything that restricts one's freedom or opportunities.
- 2011, John Bradley, Cadbury's Purple Reign: The Story Behind Chocolate's Best-Loved Brand
- Their business model of the 1920s and 1930s, which had catapulted the business to undreamt-of heights, had then turned into something of a ball and chain.