Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
bargeman (plural bargemen)
- A member of the crew of a barge.
- 2017, David Lewis, River Ouse Bargeman: A Lifetime on the Yorkshire Ouse, page 38:
- Laurie still has Sam's work log from 1919–1934, a fifty-page volume documenting Sam's day-to-day experiences and serves well to show the kind of working conditions an Ouse bargeman endured in the 1920s.
- A barge owner, maintainer, or captain of a barge.
- (nautical, slang) A large white maggot that frequently infested ship's biscuits; most likely a larva of the cadelle beetle, Tenebroides mauritanicus.
member of the crew of a barge